Monday, June 15, 2009

the nature of jade by Deb Caletti

I found the "Fundamentals of Animal Behavior" at the start of each chapter more compelling then the story itself but it's not a terrible book choice if you have a penchant for pachyderms. It's about a girl named Jade who falls in love with an unlikely choice- a boy raising his baby alone. His story has a little twist which keeps you intrigued for a few chapters but overall Jade feels contrived and too perfect even with her panic attacks and anxiety issues, she's high-maintenance. But, I do like this author's style and I loved the elephant anecdotes.
This title is another Grand Canyon Reader Award Nominee for the 2010 Teen List. Even though I wasn't switten with this story, I would try her other books, Honey, Baby, Sweetheart, The Queen of Everything, and Wild Roses. Her website is www.debcaletti.com if you'd like more info.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My friend Astrid read this book and really enjoyed it. I might read it. YAY. :]